Thread: White Gardens
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey4 View Post
That grade sure is funky. Even tougher to do I imagine, given the uneveness of the stone selected. Where exactly is the mortar? I don't follow that part of the install.
The mortar is between the back 2/3rds of the wall, so you can't see it in the front to give the apearance of an old-world dry laid wall. I just new in that location, next to the driveway, that it needed to be solid. Also, if the block was a little more flat and uniform, then I would have done a base and used block adhesive for each course.

The base is three inches of concrete with re-bar running the length of the base for extra support. I didn't want to do a deeper base as I was running into massive tree roots.

Yes, the uneven block sucked hard. They look great, but I had to use a firm mortar to keep as level as possible with each course.

All in all I like it. I can't decide if I should continue the last course to the garage or not. With the step-down on the upper end, I think it looks O.K. the way it is.

Any thoughts????

Here are the current pics, the wall is going to look great when it's washed down. Right now there is a lot of dust from my cuts.

Name:  wall9.jpg
Views: 9894
Size:  417.4 KB

Name:  wall10.jpg
Views: 9817
Size:  379.6 KB

Name:  wall11.jpg
Views: 9670
Size:  314.2 KB

Name:  wall12.jpg
Views: 9307
Size:  392.6 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Page generated in 0.03799 seconds with 8 queries