View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 PM

Employees Can Be Fixed

I know that a lot of the business owners on this site have employees - some just have one employee, others have plenty. It is often said that the biggest challenge in this business is finding, motivating and keeping good "help". I won't deny that. In fact, the more I talk to members of this site I realize that employees are a problem because the owners of the business actually make it easy for turn-over to be constant.

I know it is that time of the year - you are busy, customers are calling, complaints left and right, etc. But I can assure you of this one thing - if you invest in your employees in way of training and education, it will pay off in the end.

Create a handbook - it doesn't have to be anything elaborate and you can always add to it over time. Let them know what you expect in terms of when they show up, what they should wear, how they should act, safety, vacation time, etc...

Talk to them - don't just assume they know what you want and what you are thinking. I have seen it a million times - a guy gets hired, he is handed a few shirts, told to be at the garage at 7:30 and then he is sent off to do the work. And then when the work is done poorly or even at a slow pace, the owner gets angry and wonders why he can't find any decent employees.

Know the kind of employee you are looking for - whether they are skilled, experienced, have a license, or just have a good attitude (I will take someone with the right attitude any day over someone with experience).

I know I am just scratching the surface, but what do you think? How do you train your employees? How serious are you about the hiring process?

Page generated in 0.04185 seconds with 7 queries