View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I never said anything about "going green". All I want is to have a nice looking lawn without using potentially dangerous products. If I wanted something sustainable I'd let the clover take over the lawn and get sheep to keep whatever lawn is left trimmed. But I probably wouldn't have too much room for a lawn with all the food and cotton I'd need to grow. Thank God none of my neighbors compost so I can use their leaves and clippings because I don't produce enough waste material to handle my new needs.

I've run across plenty of pictures of lawns by people that only use organic fertilizers that look great. I've seen people talk about only using compost but never post what their lawns look like.

How about providing some insight and answering the question of how much compost per 1,000 sq ft it takes for a typical cool season clay lawn to maintain it at a level where it doesn't look out of place next to other homes where the lawns are regularly fertilized? Not familiar with that climate? What about some area you are familiar with? What would it take to raise the OM content up 5% over how much time? How much would it take to maintain that level once it gets there? Some sort of rough guidelines? Don't worry, I'm not expecting an answer.

You can be off topic all you want but if you don't want to come across like a pompous blowhard, or a ranting fool, then you might want to try and contribute something to the conversation. I guess you haven't let go of that grade school "nananana I know something you don't" mentality yet?

So you don't sell compost. Sounds more like you're an acedemic. Maybe a professor. Undergrad and some grad studies in Europe and then followed up with your doctoral work here. Maybe you consult with some projects and have seen good results in areas where you can sponsor a child for less than

the price of a cup of coffee a day, but when you meet with farmers and urban planners here they like your ideas but only ever consider implementing a fraction of what you recommend.

So you come here and take your frustrations out on a bunch of people that primarily make their living by providing lawn care services and belittle them with comments like "fert and squirt guys" because they're trying to learn how to adapt to organic lawn care and get their clients to convert.

They can't transition clients to a service that will make their lawns look worse than they did before. Most people won't stick around for that. The clients would cancel their contracts and these guys would lose revenue which is kinda important to people that don't get stipends or grant money. So they try and learn from others and share what they have learned and avoid the snake oil salesmen that jumped into this area. Even a lot of the research doesn't agree.

Maybe you think you're being pithy but you're just being glib.

You come across as an idealogue. In practice, you can't go from one extreme to the other and expect to maintain profitability and results. If you know a way to do it, I'm sure people here would love to hear it. You're not in the business so you don't seem to have a balanced view and it looks like some people are getting tired of it.

Page generated in 0.04769 seconds with 7 queries