View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingdeeprootsorganicly View Post
smallaxe, im not sure what your asking about the P not moving?

ground up powders/meals such as bone meal have more then just P, beside that once rained on it will move into the soil, i container grow/raised beds, i use these materials all the time, fantastic results if used wisely.

let me just talk about the rock P since it's a mine material and not of organic source. where the bone is more a food source compared to the rock meal,
faster break down plus the bone will contain N and other nutes and such

once the rock powder works into the soil and is Incorporated in the soil/OM the bugs will have a field day with it, major source of P Ca to draw from, once in biomass..the rest is obvious
I agree that different forms of P can be 'worked into' the soil will fine results.

My point was that if you apply P to the surface and it is bound to the soil at the surface, that is where it is going to stay. Those soil particles must be physically moved - in order for the P that is attached to them to move. No leaching possible.
N, of course just washes freely through the soil without much bonding at all. Especially with sand.

Page generated in 0.03785 seconds with 7 queries