View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

stihl fs80 string trimmer lacks power

i have a stihl fs80 string trimmer that I bought used off ebay recently. The EPA sticker on the shaft has 1998 written in it so that is why I believe it was made around 1998 period. The carbeurator is a stihl S28D that has an adjustable screw for air intake into the carbeutor and thought that it might be the problem with it but then again I thought maybe its the low idle screw that needs adjusted I simply do not know and just guessing.
Here is what I have done to try to fix it as follows:
I tried to take the spark plug wire off the spark plug but it was stuck on to the spark plug but when I pulled on it the other end of the spark plug boot ripped the wire out of it. I took the stihl fs80 over to my brother in law and he put the wire back through the boot and I guess clipped it into that wire spring inside the boot. Well, he put the spark plug and attached it to the spark plug wire and put it up against metal on the side of the weedeater and pulled the starter pulley to make sure that it was creating a spark. That way he knew the coil was working and that the spark plug was working, too.
I put on a carbeurator kit, cleaned the orfices with starter fluid, cleaned the fuel tank, put on new fuel line with fuel filter and return lines. That did not seem to fix the problem I am having with it. When I start it up and let up on the trigger it wants to die off on me and also if I try to use it with the trigger fully pressed it gets sluggish when I cut weeds with it. Thank you for your assistance.
Regards, Robert

Last edited by rknarr2; 08-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.03697 seconds with 7 queries