View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted corriher View Post
Just for thought, next time you are sliding down a hill while mowing and getting ready to hit something (hopefully not a pond), Do you want your front wheels rolling or sliding?
Duh Id like stopped, buton wet grass with hard ground there will be a difference, but not much... The main Vid on your page showed soft dirt and and soft ground with some grass, so the front end of the mower when brakes applied pushed the wheels into the dirt... On a normal hillside you wheels/tires wont sink into the dirt..

Under normal use and proper operation ztrs are safe machine and are not prone to rolling over or loosing control when they are operated within the confines set out in the operators guide.

The problems arise when an operator gets complacent. ie buzzing along the retaining wall on flat ground at 8-10 mph and sees a sprinkle head still up or a rock or a stick and tries to avoid it., and ends up swimming with the ZTR. Or when they are running around the lake on a 30* incline hit a wet spot, and start sliding. My mom was a victim of a walker rollover... she was cutting along a bank and made her turn the tail wheel fell off the edge of the turf and she and the walker were swimming... roofers working on the house next door jumped off the roof to lift the mower off of her. thank fully it was shallow water and her head was not pinned under. i would have been mortified if she had been seriously injured, but the machines are not dangerous. Its the operators that make them dangerous.

I'll snap some pics of a hill here at school one of my guys decided to take a shortcut down the hill, rather than take the sidewalk around the hill. It would have taken him 60 seconds to drive around the hill as opposed to the 15 seconds going down the hill. Ended up bending the front caster frame on the Scag, and the mower was in the shop for a week. My point is that you can't fix stupid. And folks who operate ZTR's outside of the range specified in the operators manual are being stupid and careless. And yes I've been stupid and careless but I've been lucky. We've all had those "pucker" moments and many folks don't learn from those moments..

I think brakes are a great idea...but i think that all you are doing is giving folks another reason to push the limits of their machines..

Page generated in 0.03218 seconds with 7 queries