View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
There ya go ted, Your first customer who wished he had the brakes so he could creep down the hill. A hill that easily exceeds the 15* as indicated in the manuals...

Could brakes on the machine have prevented greg from running into the tree and loosing control. Yes they may have been able to slow the machine and stop it... Could Greg's adherence to the operators manual have prevented him from losing control while going down the hill. Yep. and you know what, It doesn't cost a penny. The manual comes free with the purchase of the machine.

You know it would not be that hard to put a safety switch that shuts the machine off when it gets on an angle of greater than 15* We can wrap the machine in a roll cage and put a seat belt switch (like skid loaders have) which wont' start until the belt is clicked...

I'm not discounting the price of a life...At what point do we stop putting safety switches/ roll bars, ect on these machines and start making proper/safe operation the responsibility of the operator and not the product manufacturer. I guarantee that in every single case where the machine flipped over on a guy and killed him the first thing the lawyer is gonna ask Was there a ROPS installed when the first question should be, how steep of a slope was it and what does the operators manual say...

ON a side note, while I like the idea of a master cylinders and fluid brake lines, they do appear to stick up above the caster quite a bit, any though to using hard lines that fit the contour of the machine better (ie less chance of the hoses getting damaged) or even going with a cable actuated system (less pressure but simpler)

I have a caster(no wheel/tire) from my scag that I'd be willing to ship to you...if you want to start looking at the Scag dimensions of their fork...

here are the pics of the hill (30*) that my employee went down...lost control and did hundreds of $$ damage to the machine all because he was too lazy to take the extra 60 seconds and drive down the road. Luckily he was not hurt...
Actually, I think the safety devices should be left off and let Darwinism take its course. People have gotten too lulled into the idea that the Gov't and manufactures need to protect the operators from themselves. Logging is the most dangerous job in the USA and you don't see people with roll cages around them when cutting down a tree. Only when they get on a unit of machinery do they get it.

Page generated in 0.04427 seconds with 7 queries