View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

well said nathan...

However we are responsible for our actions, whether we we are old, drunk, feeble, stupid, ect...Too long the response has been "i'm sorry" or "I didn't mean for it to happen", "I wasn't paying attention". As we know, and have known since man started beating things with sticks. Tools can kill, maim, and otehr wise ruin lives. If you learn how to safely operate said tools, and do so (this is the key). You will not have incidents.

An accident is an occurrence which is due neither to design nor to negligence.

We have a lot of negligent operators (homeowner and professional) out there (myslef included) and its always a shame when bad things happen to good people, but by and large these wounds are self inflicted. And Darwin is an equal opportunity offender.

Last February I was operating a mini ex with about 7 people in close proximity. I would dig the trench swing the unit around dump the soil and swing back for another dig. The guy working were following behind laying 6" perf pipe, fabric and 57 stone.

I was in my 2nd day of running the machine. operation was smooth. And I got to the point where I was looking at the bucket and not where it was going (tunnel vision) as I swung the bucket to the right I dumped the load and swung it back around to the left. The next thing I saw was my boss laying the trench. Thankfully no injuries. After I swung out of the way the boss came in to get a closer look at something and had bent over near the front of the machine. had I not had "tunnel vision" I may have seen my boss hop in front of me. Granted he knows better than to jump in the danger zone but as the operator the ultimate culpability falls on my shoulders.

Last edited by MarcSmith; 08-21-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Page generated in 0.03943 seconds with 7 queries