View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane100 View Post
Ok, I'll bite. What is it about Ferris that makes you think I'm crazy for buying one?

I assume you have owned/demoed them. I would like to hear about your experience, good or bad.

Thanks.
I demoed one a few years back, I had no idea they updated or changed the decks. As for the ride, at first I thought it was the bees knees. Then I demoed a Exmark with a suspension seat upgrade and it was the same exact thing. I think its just overrated.

As for the cut of the Ferris, it was just horrible. I couldn't compare it to any other mower we demoed. I found that it scalped a lot. I don't know if it was due to the suspension or the non-adjustable anti-scalp rollers but either way I had a lot of scalping. It couldn't handle tall grass, it just kept bogging down. The unit I demoed has a 30HP engine on it so it wasn't underpowered.

Like I said, at first I thought the suspension was amazing especially after demoing a Scag with no suspension seat. But once I sat my fat arse on a suspension seat the Ferris wasn't so impressive. Maybe the mower is good for you and your operation. But for me, it was not going to be the machine I purchased. It no where compared to the Exmark or Scag. Even the Lesco Z was better than the Ferris IMHO.

I ended up with a Exmark 60" Triton for $8500. The only reason I did not get a Scag was the price. I was quoted $11,500 with NO collection system. I paid that for the Exmark w/ ultravac, striping kit, and suspension seat.

But, thats me. I'm sure the mower will do great for you and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Page generated in 0.04055 seconds with 7 queries