Thread: White Gardens
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Overcast, 50 degrees, and a 40% chance of light rain. Luckily the radar is picking up some moisture that doesn't seem to be hitting the ground and no mist, sprinkles or rain to speak of.

My father in-law called and needed a couple tons of wet gluten from the ethanol plant to feed the 4 cows he has in his lot outside of Mackinaw IL. I have to go clear to Pekin Il, where the plant is located on the Illinois River and first had to drop off the boy in Morton IL to a relative who was going to baby-sit. So needless to say it took close to 4 hours just to do that load.

I need to hang out in the organic forum and figure out exactly what those guys are using gluten for when it comes to a green weed control. I can get wet or dry, and sometimes they have an oversupply and I can get it for 15.00 dollars a ton.

I paid for the fuel and gluten and told him to put it on my tab. Whenever he has a couple of pigs or cows slaughtered, then we get some of the meat, so I have no problems paying for some supplies.

It all works out great in the end when you only pay $2.50 a lb. for all your beef and pork, and I know what has or hasn't been injected in them.

I might try to talk him into raising some yard birds next year. That would be some good eats.

I still need to leave here shortly and go do a cleanup. It's going to stink as wet and sloppy as it is outside. Luckily I don't need the mower and bagger on this yard so it will just be a blower, rake and a tarp. I've come to the conclusion that in order to get finished for the season with my final mowings and a few cleanups, I'm going to have to muck around peoples yards. I really don't like to do that for every obvious reason you can think of, but I'm in a pinch now. I might take some pics we'll see how it goes.

So, just reading this post, I realized I'm pretty much an egdeumacated, red-neck landscaper. Oh well, seems like you always come around full circle from where you started from. In my case I grew up on a farm, so everything I do now is only fitting.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Page generated in 0.03174 seconds with 7 queries