Thread: White Gardens
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, rain, rain and more rain. I slept in till 11 a.m. this morning. First time in months I've slept more than 6 hours in a night. I feel hungover but rested.

I was thinking about trying to have more base delivered, but they can't do it until Monday. I might go and try and haul in 2 tons at a time with my truck just to have enough material to work with on Sunday. But, we will see what happens. The material yard is ope till noon tomorrow and I can get what I need to finish in 3 or 4 loads. Sometimes I just need to be patient, and if the rain has done anything for me, is to be more patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
gardens, I read every post....
Awesome, thanks for following. Nice to know my writings have some substance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post

Look at this link White Gardens, by tomorrow you and I will have probably had about 10 inches.

I know what you mean about the farmers. My dad and brother farm and they are having a bad time.

Also, wanted to let you know that I enjoy this thread. Keep up the good work.
My dad still farms, and he is starting to freak a little, which is rare for him. The corn around here looks like it wicking up water from the soil through the stalks. The stalks looks soaked up to the ears. Can't be good. If the wind starts blowing it's all going to fall over from the soil being saturated also.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonpcat View Post
I would have gone with the footings under the steps (just had to rebuild mine), Although mine were just sitting on an 8" slab. Hopefully yours will stay put!!
He insisted that he didn't think it needed a footer. I probably should have just gone ahead and done it, but, he is the one I had to win over with my work to earn his trust, so I'll trust him on this one. The only good thing is that if it ever does move, I can just say I told you so.

If it were my house, I definitively would have put in footers. The only cancellation is that the hollow steps probably don't weigh more the 700 pounds, so it won't move or sink any time soon. I used some of the rip-rap from the steps to stabilize the soil, installed fabric under my fill, and put at least 9 inches of compacted base down, so it will be fine for probably 20 years or so.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Page generated in 0.04482 seconds with 7 queries