Thread: White Gardens
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
looks great.

are you going to be landscaping the rest of the area around the house or just doing the sidewalks?
As long as the ground doesn't freeze, then I'm going to put in the tree in the design and the other woody shrubs.

I have a couple of masses of Hosta's that I pulled next the house and healed in when I started and I'll split those into the beds also, but I can't guarantee at this point if they will survive or not. Luckily since they were already on the property, the HO won't be out any money if they don't survive.

Up towards the front where the steps are, that will be done next spring. The man of the house is wanting to build an access door where there is a hole in the foundation where the other door on the porch was closed off. I'm going to let him get that done before I plant in that area so he has room to maneuver. He wants to keep the door as he had to jack up the porch a little when they did the siding so he wants to be able to get back under there if the porch ever settles in the center again.

The main goal in the front was to keep the sidewalk far enough away to plant Hydrangea's. There is some existing Hydrangea's on the other side of the steps that will even out the front visually, but those aren't good to deal with until the spring.

Long story short, at the bear minimum I will have all the dirt graded off in the beds and throw good hardwood mulch down when I'm done to help clean it up for the winter.

I don't think I'll be able to fix the lawn in time before it gets too cold also. I've got one area that I built up for the sidewalk that is probably 500 square feet or so. I might just let the frost heave cycle have it's way with that area before I try to till and seed.

Overall, with what doesn't get done won't be too bad for the winter, and I'm thinking I'll have it cleaned up enough that it looks relatively finished.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.

Page generated in 0.04398 seconds with 7 queries