Thread: A new one on me
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been reading posts like these for the last couple months and monitoring the season for light installation. In 2010, I hope to have a single install crew and enough accounts to justify the capital investment of going with Christmas Decor or HBL. At this point, I would like to hear what the pros and cons were at the start-up phase of these franchises and what they have been like down the stretch as far as sales and service.

I've shuttered to think about adding a new division to our lawn and landscape maintenance company but I'm a little hesitant to keep letting our seasonal workforce go each year when the grass dies. What kind of advice would you give to someone looking to enter the business in this economy? What other services do you perform in the winter in addition to Christmas lights and/or after the Christmas season? We have 5-7 employees March-October, but only 2 over the winter, one being the owner and the other being myself, serving as the operations manager/foreman. Any and all advice is very helpful, thanks for your time.
16' Trailer w/ open sides
2007 Walker GHS w/ Air-Cooled Kohler 23hp (gas)
2006 Walker GHS w/ LC Kubota 20.9 hp (diesel)
2010 John Deere 930A w/ 7-Iron II MOD deck (gas)
2006 John Deere 757 w/ 60" 7-Iron II MOD deck (gas)
200 gal Cub Cadet skid sprayer w/ 5.5 hp Kawasaki
50gal Atwoods spray rig w/ 8' boom and 300' hose on Hannay reel
Handheld: 80% Stihl - 20% Shindaiwa (too many to list)

Page generated in 0.03826 seconds with 7 queries