View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Although I will agree that driving technique can account for up to 20% of a vehicle's fuel mileage, sometimes more.
Beyond that a religious maintenance program also helps, change the oil and filter, the air filter, the spark plugs, the list goes on...
Just one underinflated tire can cost 5-10% in fuel economy, so keeping up with this as best as one can does make a difference.

But beyond that with some outfits it's all in the engine and the weight, my '95 3/4 ton club cab with a 5.9L V8 and a 6x12 trailer
weighs 6 thousand pounds empty, I can almost see 12mpg on a very good day, under 10 when it's not so good.
There ain't NOTHING I can do about it, not even "driving with load" to a fault helps but so much.

My '86 D-250 used to get 14mpg all the time, it used to drive me nuts.

I mean I have gone so far as to study the aerodynamics of the truck to figure out what modifications I can make
I kid you not, I spent WEEKS fooling with that

In the end I just had to face the music, some trucks don't do as well as others.
The same deja moo yet again. You have got to be kidding me. Typical, monkeys footballs and lovemaking... I will let you put it all together.

honestly a Ranger with 3.0 or a half ton with a 4.6 would be the way to go. The 4.2 is not a bad engine but for extra displacement and no major difference in gas, the extra bit of engine is worth it.

Veritas and æquitas

Page generated in 0.04295 seconds with 7 queries