View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our logging market has been decimated, lots of companies going under and visibly reduced opertaions. Big around here is a job with 4-6 skidders, whole tree chipper, everything mechanized, doing about 8-14+ loads chips a day and about 50-100 MBF saw logs a day.

A recent job in my neighborhood was enormous. The biggest stack of logs I have every seen on a landing, looked like a black and white photo from the past. One early winter evening on a cold December you could hear the trucks making the climb out of the river valley to the hills we live on around here. A huge fleet of low boys carrying what semed like a CAT army.....they just unloaded about 10 peices of huge equipment and started crashing thru the woods to get the stuff off the road. It looked like war of the worlds at night with smoke and equipment lights, huge machines just tearing up the forest trying to make an emergency equipment landing to get it off the street. Driving over huge trees with rock truck tailgates, tree shear howling, skidders raging thru the forest, and excavators installing culverts and stumping. All at night and that was the first wave of deliveries. They did 740 MBF in about 7 days....while stumping and picking up the slash in the whole area in the dead of winter and grinding it all up with a brand new CBI 1,150 HP grider. Awesom loud, you could here it for miles. The company Eastern Logging was all CAT with some Tigercat, had a complete fleet of CAT Forestry excavators, rock trucks, loaders, dozers, and everything else to complimnet the true forestry equipment. A fleet of CAT 545 skidders and tracked 330 D LLs Forestry log loaders. The pile of logs was just huge, like as far as a 330 D LL can reach, about 40'? As hitches came out of the woods to the pile the army of log loaders would handle, cut, stack, chipper, and what ever in a crazy frenzied ant colony like pace. All of the logs went to Canada and the cutting was done way before the logs could be trucked, they left part of the crew to deal with the pile. They needed trucks so bad a huge fleet of auto demo trailers with open tops came down and they just dropped the logs into the trailers like sticks. The trucks going to Canada have to be 80K LBS. GVW, tiny loads with logs about 5-6 MBF, but the few trucks the logging company had hauling to their yard where carrying like 150+ K!!!

Eastern Logging is now no more, that was their 2nd to last job, and the bank came with a fleet of low boys and away they went. Too big, too much equipment in a shrinking market around here.

Needless to say, it was all pretty impressive for eastern area forestry in the rural burbs. Up in our true forest areas of the state and ME, it is even bigger and 24/6 with multiple crews.

I was getting $200 per 1MBF sawlogs #2 and better with pallet logs at $50 per 1 MBF and $2 per ton chips. Basically about $1,100 per tractor trailer load of logs. Now, you may get 1/2 that. The logging market is a whores business, and most people get raped by loggers. I won't go into log scales and grading but in a nut shell 10% of the logs are 90% of the total$.

Page generated in 0.04382 seconds with 7 queries