View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
The 7.3 Powerstroke engine will probably go down in history as the best diesel engine ever used in a pickup truck of any brand. They are very troublefree and can easily last 500,000 miles
I have owned 14 of them, all purchased with over 225,000 miles on them, and used them daily with no problems.
Many of them I later sold to friends. They all are still going strong, and most have well over 300,000 miles on them. In fact, recently I bought one of them back again. It is now my daily driver, and has 331,000 miles on it. Still runs great and has lots of power.
You can not go wrong with a 7.3 Powerstroke that has been serviced regularly.
I beg differ, and I know others will too. No doubt the 7.3 was a good engine, probably the best diesel engine ever put in a Ford. But best diesel engine ever used in a pick up of any brand?, no way. You forget about the 5.9 Cummins. Just look at the life the 5.9 had in Dodge pickups, a life that spanned almost 20 years. As far as reliability, towing ability, and overall power, the 5.9 can't be beat.

Looking back at the 7.3 it was a good engine, but far from being the best ever. The 94 - 97's had glow plug and relay issues that kept them from being able to start in cold weather; all the models from 94 - 03 had problems with crank position sensors that kept them from running; the HPOP method of fuel injection is highly complicated and flawed because the oil doesn't naturally circulate as well as it properly should, not to mention it sheers oil like no other; they get no where near the fuel economy when compared to the 5.9 or 6.6 Duramax; it's design of using glow plugs to start is flawed because plugs become fouled from combustion and they eventually need to be replaced, not to mention this system isn't as effective as a grid heater...anything else?

Personally, I own a 7.3 in an 01' Excursion and it's been a great engine. But it's no where near the best engine ever. The 5.9 is a simpler, more reliable, and more economical engine, simple put.
Stihl BR600
Stihl FS90R

Page generated in 0.04694 seconds with 7 queries