View Single Post
Old 02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoZ View Post
My diesel experience goes back to a 1994 7.3 IDI with about 200,000 miles. I put on about 50,000 miles before the repairs were killing me. One tranny - third one for the truck, glow plugs every other day, relay switches, cracked fuel lines, ball joints, water pumps, a/c pump spun a bearing while driving in Chicago - very costly repair, that was about it. It was probably not maintained the best before I got it but it was my first dump truck...

I must be missing something but unless you have a gas motor in your truck - ANY DIESEL regardless of brand will fail and cost big money to fix. Yes, even Peterbilts break down...

The 7.3 versus a 6.6 Duramax is no more expensive to fix than a 5.9...

They all have faults and they are all expensive to maintain and fix. Over the past 16 years of buying vehicles - I seem to have the best luck when I buy new or lower mileage vehicles, that way I know how they are used and know that they are being maintained properly.

There are basically two rules to follow when buying a used vehicle...

1) Run the Vin number with a corresponding Ford, GM, Dodge dealer to check for warranty repair history, that will give you an idea if it's been a problem child or has been abused...

2) I am amazed that more people don't do this - PULL AN OIL SAMPLE AND GET IT ANALYZED!!! This is like bloodwork on your engine. It will tell you any issues that may be happening such as faulty injectors, dirty air, cavitation of liners and overall life left in your engine. Remember there are many other factors that go into the health of your engine other than just the engine itself. I would never buy a vehicle without first getting the oil analyzed...

Don't drink the 7.3 koolaide like everyone else. I've had several 7.3's over the years and like my 03 6.0 Powerstroke the most. I also own a 5.9 Cummins and a 7.6 DT-466. And previously owned a 6.7 Cummins...

Find a truck you like - Get it inspected, pull an oil sample and keep looking for the one you like - GM, FORD or DODGE. Don't fall for all this engine crap, buy a truck because you like it... But do yur homework...

By the way - I'm looking for a 1999 Powerstroke or a 1995 12V, high mileage and rusty preferred. I want a new tinker toy!!!
you can't compare your 94 7.3 to the newer ones there completely different.. what do you like so much about you 03 6.0 then the 7.3? how many miles do you have on it??

Page generated in 0.04428 seconds with 7 queries