View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, it's not going to win you any races, but a V6 should be ok. I used an astro van and a GMC 1500 both with the 4.3l V6 engine and they did just fine, never had a bit of trouble moving a trailer. The problem you're going to run into is one of safety. usually a V6 powered truck or SUV is smaller and a lot lighter than their V8 counterparts, making them less stable for towing. Another thing to consider is the braking performance of the vehicle, sure it may stop itself just fine, but what about when it has a loaded down trailer? so trailer brakes are a must, and don't think that just because it's a single axle trailer that you don't need brakes, because you do. I have a 2500HD with upgraded larger rotors and calipers and I still have brakes on my single and tandem axle trailers, the reason for this is, the truck's brakes are designed to stop itself and stationary weight in the bed, not rolling weight pushing from behind.

So in short, yes a V6 will work, as I said I have used them a number of times before, and did great for me. However, just make sure you are taking the necessary precautions for safety, because it's not only you that you'll kill when you can't stop, but that Honda Odyssey loaded with kids from soccer practice.

2005 GMC sierra 2500 4x4
2000 Chevy Astro 4.3l vortec V6
2006 Simplicity Broadmoor
2005 Lawn Boy 21" walk behind
2006 Craftsman 21" 6.0 HP push
2005 tow behind spreader, dethatcher, aerator
2006 5X8 trailer
2005 Echo gt-200R
a slew of hand tools
The list goes on

Rome wasn't built in a day, but they didn't have me working on that project

Page generated in 0.04261 seconds with 7 queries