View Single Post
Old 02-21-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betmr View Post
I have a few questions. Not about seed choice, but seed bed prep. Are these new lawns total new lawn or over seeding old lawn? If new, is everything leveled and smoothed out? Low spots filled in and high spots cut down?

I find that for a completely new lawn, a slit seeder is not the best way to go. You will end up with rows of grass that will take time to fill in, look unsightly, and wide bare spaces, open to weed infestation. The best method, in my opinion, would be to run over the soil North to south-East to west with a Vertical Mower. then broadcast seed and roll it over. This method will give you complete coverage, & an even lawn, with less room for weeds.

Slit seeders are nice for over-seeding an existing lawn.
You're right IMO
Slit seeders are for overseeding.

Because we do larger properties, for new lawns we use the tractor with a land leveler or a landscaping box depending on how bad the construction equipment left it, then a harrow. If the soil is very sandy like it is here a lot, we might till in Peat and Compost.
Seed / Fertilizer is spread with broadcast spreaders then cover the seed with the land leveler on the lowest setting then rolled with the roller 1/2 full.

Page generated in 0.04627 seconds with 7 queries