View Single Post
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This has to be the best thread on here right now maybe even ever, I was expecting a lot of negitivity but the insite on here is amazing. We need more posts like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnjocky View Post
FourTrees mentioned something I have been thinking about as many posters were singing the praises of being solo. What happens if you're sick or hurt? I started solo and moved up to several crews then crashed. I crashed because of labor problems, which is still a management issue. At the time I did some serious thinking about saying **** on this I'm going solo or have just one helper. I thought it through and now run two trucks and it works pretty well. Solo is more profit, but you're riding close to the edge if something happens to your health. There is also burn out and old age to consider. When you're young or just starting out, 10-12hr days running your own business is fun. Give it 5, 10 or 20 years and some of that fun will be gone. I think the moral of this thread is to learn how to properly manage your business, whatever it's size.
I can and will say that i am currently 1 or 2 payments from going under, I can also say that there is work being done to right the problem. My problems were non existant untill I was in a accident, well actually 2. accident #1, In 2007 I was cutting a log at our shop, the saw jumped out of the log and into my foot. I was young dumb and cocky. I was doing everything right except for waring my safty gear. So that day I did everything wrong. This was the first time I had been injured on the job and could not work for about a month. Common sence should have kicked in and I should have gotten some sort of disability insurance to cover my butt if something happened again. But again i was young dumb and stupid, Thought that nothing like that would happen again I have learned to use my gear and be safe. So in the fall of 2008 I was involved in another accident, Im still not sure how it happened exactly I have some ideas of what went wrong, but im not 100% on it. Anyways I got my hand stuck in a log splitter between the log and the pusher. It squezzed off my pinki,ring,and middle finger at the first knuckle, my pointer finger at the second joint, and the tip of my thumb. To add insult to injury after I got my hand out of the splitter, I tripped over a garden hose and sprinkler that I had set where it didnt belong when I went over to the splitter to give some guidence to a new hire. 100% my fault I should have never set it there. Tore my right ACL and fractured my knee. When the first accident happened I was making enough money that it didnt really change much, I was only off my foot for about a month. With this second accident, that is a whole new story, I have learned a ton about everything I was doing wrong, and the few things I was doing right. For the summer of 2009 I was $1300 a month short to making all my bills. So far this winter Im about 500 a month short on covering my bills. After my second accident I had a choice to make, to sit on my butt and feel sorry for my self or get back out there and give it all, I choose the latter, Now understand that i am sitting here typing with 2 fingers on my left hand, I had to get rid of most of my equiptment to get equiptment that I could run, Some has been modified due to the fact that I cant handle the vibration comming through the equiptment.. This winter I had to let my helper go as I just can not afford him right now. I still have more equiptment that needs to be modified or replaced so that i can use them with out assistance. Last year I had 1 yes ONE day of mowing a week. Last spring I replaced 2 peices of equiptment with new equiptment A new loader with piolet controles and a new ZTR as I could no longer use my surfer. But I had some money in the bank, which is now all gone, Thankfully Summer is almost hear and this year Im up to 3 days of mowing already. So things are looking up, I do Have my father to thank for helping me get through this, with out him I would have gone under. It has been a real eye opener. I have a whole new look at things now. Example, the shop im renting is 2000 a month, it is up for sale right now, I was going to try to buy it, dad was going to make 1/2 the payments I would have made the other 1/2. our monthly payment would have been over 4000 a month. We are now set to close on a 10 acre forclosure and I will be able to have it payed off in 5 to 10 years. the old me would have gone after the 50 acre farm im on now and suffered every day for 30 years till it was paid off or worse till it was lost.

Get some sort of insurance policy incase of the accident that will never happen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
I think that having a F-350, fully loaded 4 door p/u w/diesel motor is a little over kill.
A lot of the young guys want this type of truck. Does it make them Kool ?
It sure puts most of them in debt !
Sammy, you are right they should buy dodge but seriously, I run a 2005 ram 3500 crew cab I like having the ability to tow what ever I may need too. I didnt buy a fully loaded one, and i bought it used. If my 97 chevy wouldnt have blowen up I would still be driving that truck. I can see why some guys want the 3500 with the diesel. most of the time during the summer I run my 92 chevy 1/2 ton because its paid for. I want my warranty to last as long as possable on my dodge. I just turned 60K on my dodge, im over 400K on my 92 chevy.

05 dodge ram 3500 stacked
12' open trailer
20' dump trailer
12' enclosed trailer
Sthil trimmers,blowers,chain saws,pole saws
01/06 honda atv w/ plow and spray tank
Deere Z840A
48" scag Pro-V w/ bagger
09 Deere 328 Loader
2 o4 2500HD ext cab's
01 chevy 1500
Billy Goat truck loader
1500 gal tank w/ 2.5" fire line and garden hose's
Iron Oak log splitter
www.pfd-llc.com
http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EOSRRCOEBMN where we get our uniforms.

Page generated in 0.04419 seconds with 7 queries