View Single Post
Old 03-12-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Bad Boy ZT 50 - Briggs or Kohler

Bad Boy ZT 50" - Briggs Intek ELS26 hp or Kohler Courage 27 hp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this same exact message at the end of a previous BAD BAY thread, but I'm doing it again here to see if I can get any response without having to go all the way to page 8 on the other one. So chime in!

After months of research and demos, I was ready to buy my first ZTR and was getting ready to pull the trigger on a Scag FreedomZ 48". I will be mowing 1 acre at my home and I'm tired of buying the throwaway riders every 4 years. Clean & simple, stout, Kawasaki, great seat, ROPS, low profile and great reputation; all were deciding criteria. This was after testing Hustler Fast Track (19 hp Kawasaki), Gravely ZT HD 48(24 hp Kawasaki), Dixie Chopper (Kohler Courage), Kubota (ZG 222) $$$, Toro & Scag. THEN, right before I went to buy the Scag, I decided to go ahead and check out the Bad Boy for good measure. Goodness gracious, what a beast! The other "estate sized" ZTRs that I tested look like toys compared to this machine. Nothing cheap on this "bad boy" - built to last and well thought out. Every single part is beefy and solid. This is definitely the one for me. My question to you: Do I go with the Briggs 26 HP Intek ELS or the Kohler Courage 27 HP? The particular dealer that I visited has the Briggs only (on premise) and he says that he prefers this over the Kohler Courage. He did say that tthe Kohler Command is a great engine and he would recommend this if it was available on the ZT, but he thinks that the Briggs Intek ELS is quieter and more dependable and is plenty strong compared to the Kohler Courage. Do you think that he is just trying to sell his inventory, or should I just wait to order the one with Kohler? He is quoting me $4500.00 on this one with the Briggs. There is another dealer about 80 miles form my home that has the ZTs with the Kohlers, and they are quoting $4995.00 on these. RETRODOG, you sound very knowledgeable on these machines, therefore I respect you're comments. I will also be posting this same message on the Lawnsite forum for other opinions. Hopefully, to gain some insight and constructive criticism, without starting some kind of verbal warfare and bashing. But, I know, "boys will be boys".

Page generated in 0.03451 seconds with 7 queries