View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
A reel that is set for some contact probably has a good relief angle ground into the blades. That means the reel runs with less friction and enables it to cut like scissors. Many mower shops grind off all of the relief angles by simply spin grinding the reel. Then you are forced to run the machine with zero contact and are unable to back lap to maintain the edge. A spin grind only reel means the reel has to be reground as soon as quality of cut has declined. I notice that spin ground reels get dull rapidly when cutting bermuda, seashore paspalum or zoysia lawns. Lawn services with reel mowers sharpened that way get less than a month out of their machines before they start tearing grass or jamming. A zero contact spin ground mower might be ok for bent grass on a putting green, most lawns are not bent and they are not cut every day.
hhmmmm maybe that explains why my mower got dull so quick after i had a golf course sharpen it for 50 bucks. i know if i take it to the REEL mechanics they charge 110 bucks but i think the take the whol mower apart and all and backlap it.

spin grinding is where they put some type of grit on the blades right?
br600
zubatt saw
felco hand pruners
brute trash barrel
tarp
rake
16x6 trailer
MS361 saw
MS880 saw

WATER FALL PICS
http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...%20By%20Jason/

Page generated in 0.04295 seconds with 7 queries