View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swap01 View Post
I am in a place with quite a few potential customers. There are a few hundred houses within walking distance. Just up the hill from where I live is a very wealthy community (homes that are $350,000+). A lot of the people in my neighborhood either have young kids (8-10) or their kids have moved out. I a neighbor right across the street from me that I will probably be able to get work from. I shoveled her driveway in the winter.

I have a flier ready to hand out and I am going to go door to door with probably around 50 fliers. I have to print them myself, and my parents probably won't be overly excited if I use 100 or more pieces of paper.

So here I go

Thank you for all the comments, criticism, and feedback. I do really appreciate it. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes. I'm pretty excited to get started.

Thank you,
Swap

Congrats on getting the flyers ready, you can post it up here so we can give some tips if you want, you could also do 1/2 page flyers so 50 pieces of paper will be 100 flyers. I would defiantly go door to door throughout your neighborhood, you could even explain your situation to your customers and tell them you can do any small landscape job such as mowing, gardens, weeding, etc, just let them know you would be pleased to help them in any way possible.

I'm in a similar situation to you too, 14 years old can't drive and working in my local neighborhood, the way I got my business started was by getting my parents to help pay for some of my equipment, I'm going to pay them back of course, but if yours have the money and are willing, that may be a great source of a loan. If you wanted you could even work for your parents by doing landscaping work to pay off the debt.

About the mower... If you can use your current mower I would until you have enough money to buy a nicer one (even $200-$300 could get you a used residential toro or honda). You don't [I]have[I] to have commercial equipment, especially if you're only doing a few lawns, but once you get the money, it sure would be nice.

Again, great job for getting out there and at least trying to start your own business, learn what you need to charge to cover your equipment costs (overhead) and charge that plus what you want to make, that should give you an idea of what to charge. Search the forums and google for all types of great (but sometimes very old) info!

My advice... Dedicate your plans to God and they will be established.
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)

Page generated in 0.04684 seconds with 7 queries