View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
The installation of a bottom drain for a Pond is solely for the benefit of the Pond owner, it is definitely NOT beneficial to any resident fish.
Those are strong words. Most people put a pond on their property for themselves not for the fish. BUT...
Bottom drains benefit the resident fish by removing the fish waste and debris that, if left alone, can cause serious hikes in amonia which is very harmfull for fish. Bottom drains are used in bare liner ponds. Within that liner setup there isn't possibly enough natural breakdown of amonia to be safe for fish. The waste is taken away to filtration and removed from the pond water. With this setup there are biological filters that grow beneficial bacteria that helps to control the amonia.

Quote:
For a bottom drain to work properly you can not rely on gravity. The water must be lifted to either a settlement chamber or directly to the filter.
This is absolutely not true. I have installed a 32,000 gallon koi pond that has bottom drains that are gravity fed 150'to the filter units. Each bottom drain can pull 3,400 gal/hr. The great thing about gravity fed systems is that the debris isn't strirred up before entering the filter chamber or settlement tank.

Quote:
This will create a quite powerful suction at the aperture of the bottom drain possibly posing a danger to any small fish and would greatly ****** the invertebrate population growth which is necessary for a healthy Food Web.
You lost me here.

Quote:
The addition of a bottom drain will also preclude the use of a gravel bottom, which is also quite important for biological balance.
There are biological filters that do all that gravel does, without the mess.

Quote:
I find it interesting that you were referred to koiphen.com (which IS an excellent site) in regards to the benefits of bottom drains. One of the main threads on this particular site is 'Mud Ponds' which ,of course , are perfectly natural and, for sure, do not have bottom drains.
Mud ponds are the absolute BEST environments for koi. That is why they are all over Japan for breading. Problem is that not many people want a mud pond in their backyard where they really can't see their fish. In comes the liner pond which brings me back to why we need the bottom drains and biological filtration.

Quote:
I would forget the bottom drain idea. It is going to be difficult enough to achieve any semblance of biological balance in a Pond of this capacity without adding an unnatural device that will add to the initial expense but may or may not save you maintenance time.
Ask people on Koiphen. Biological filters create that balance the pond needs. I don't ever want to drain a pond and clean it out. No thank you.

You will have to excuse me, but I can't handle incorrect information. Especially on a forum.

Bottom line...I can't stand having to drain a pond(stress fish) and clean it out. I have done it once and I have seen the pictures. There is a reason they don't tell you this or show pictures when selling you the system. Gravel and rocks at the bottom of a shallow pond...beautiful! until you have to clean it.

Page generated in 0.04834 seconds with 7 queries