View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Purchased new home with Zoysia front yard... (pictures)

Hey all,

I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm obviously not a pro, but I'd like to learn how to take care of my new yard. I don't think the previous owners did a very good job with weed prevention, so now I am dealing with a monstrous Poa annua infestation in my zoysia. Some parts of the yard look OK (95% zoysia), but most of the lawn is 20-80% Poa annua and weeds. I bought the house in December when the lawn was dormant, and six months later... I feel like I've already lost the war.

Only the front yard is "zoysia", about 1500 sqft. I don't know what variety of zoysia it is.... best I can guess is Empire (blades are fairly wide, but not stiff).

In one of the pictures, I showed a section of the yard that I weeded by hand, vs a section still with Poa annua and weeds. The zoysia is STILL THERE, but it is very sparse, and looks to be choked by the Poa annua.

1. Its April 23. What can I still do this year to improve things?
2. There is a healthy maple in the front yard, providing shade to many of the "bad areas". Could this be contributing to the sparse zoysia?
3. I have a spreader, and I could buy a sprayer. I just don't know what chemicals to put down (brands, where to buy, etc), and when to do it.

In the pictures, I've circled the zoysia with green, the poa with red, and unknown weeds in yellow.

Thanks everyone!!
Attached Images

Page generated in 0.05255 seconds with 8 queries