View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just to add my two cents back and give you a little more info, we mow 16-19 lawns per day with the price range being somewhere between 35 and 90. Take them all, divide the income and they average about 40 or so dollars each. As for a dollar amount, I've had plenty of 1000 dollar (gross) days. And quite a few 100 dollar (net) days. Usually when conditions are good and we've been behind and need to catch up. I doubt that my employees will accomplish that any time soon. If it's just me, with a helper, it's totally possible, just one long hard high paced day. Average day is about 700-800 if I'm the lead guy and I have a good helper. Solo, my day is usually around 500 or so given good conditions. There are plenty of guys on here that are full of it. Some people also get more where they live depending on the cost of living. Some people can't get $30 a cut in the South. In my part of the country, most lawns are $35-$45 cuts. That would be a nice average 150- $250,000 house with a .25 to .5 acre lot.. I also have found that I make more money mowing smaller homes. That's a fact. We have one $90 lawn that takes two people about an hour and a half to cut and trim. Some of my $35 dollar lawns take less than 15 minutes each with a 60 walk behind. Do the math. Plus, every new lawn care company that starts each year does the exact same thing. They go to the rich neighborhoods and advertise the hell out of them. This is generally where the bigger lawns are here. Either that or there in the country and those people don't hire lcos. They use their tractor. New guys don't know what the hell they are doing with bidding, and end up driving the price down by lack of knowledge, and so much competition in the rich neighborhoods. These people are used to it and the likelyhood of customer loyalty is less here than in the middle class neighborhoods. Your 60 dollar lawn could be underbid by half next year by the guy who just started out and wants to low ball. Here's what happens next, that guy works his but off on these big complicated lawns and either realizes he didn't make what he thought he was, or does a shitttty job and ends up replaced so many times that he goes out of business the folowing year. I constantly see this. So here's my perspective. I've always taken it slow and carefull, being myself and one good helper. I've looked for middle class neighborhoods as close to my home as possible (this is also a selling point for myself). I've done as close to perfect as humanely possible on everything I've ever done and gotten to be really fast and next to perfect at the same time. This year, I've found myself forced to grow. So now I've left my reputation and income in the hands of strangers who I really don't know all that well. So, I posted this thread to get someone elses vantage point that's already been in these shoes. Wether I confused people with gross and net, the only gross and net that I've really looked at was when it came to filing taxes. I've never taken the time to add repairs and equipment (mine is all paid off except the trucks), or add the insurance and such to figure out a bottomline. I think most of you guys are right on with your figures. Some of you haven't taken the time to figure out the hidden costs (as I haven't either), and some of you have spent quite a bit of time on it. I appreciate the responses so far. Tell you the truth, landscape and landscape maintenance is where the money is really at. I've had $3000 (gross) days with that. Problem is that I can't rely on it. I do a lot of it, but summer is slow. Mowing is what keeps the money coming in steadily. But, having a product to sell for more than what you paid for it as well as making your hourly rate always leads to a more profitable day. I'm just rambling on now, but that's where I stand on things.

Page generated in 0.03274 seconds with 7 queries