View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think customers realize?

I am currently in about my 3rd going on 4th month of my first year of mowing lawns. Things are going great, but a lot of that has to do with my partnership with another lawn care service. I am just starting out, obviously.

I have been reading this forum for a while now and I know that many people in our industry understand that most people don't think very highly of "lawn mowers" for the most part. It is considered "unskilled labor" even though that is not true at all.

My question is this...before I got into this profession, I probably thought about us in much the same way as anyone else...unskilled, likely uneducated, etc. But now that I have a taste of it and understand all of the different aspects of it, the thing I wonder most now is...

Does it ever occur to any of the people that hire us to mow their lawns that there is a somewhat decent possibility that we make more money than them per year?

Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not there yet, but from many of my conversations with my lawn care partner and many of his friendly competitors (though I'm not even sure that is the appropriate term because everyone gets along well here) 6 figures is not out of the question at all and for many is considered the norm.

I know that it's not supposed to be about the money and it's supposed to be about the love of the job and the customer service and all that but I think that is kind of BS. I love what I am doing. I want to provide the best customer service I can because I honestly take pride in my work, but what I like the most is getting paid. And I think that is true of any job. Love it, like it, handle it, hate it, it is all simply a means to an end isn't it?

There's some pretty good money here. I just wonder if people realize it.

Page generated in 0.04069 seconds with 7 queries