View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pro-Discuss Series - Selling in a soft economy & saturated market

I'd like to see how this goes. I have a few topics on mind that I'd like to bring to the table with the forum as time allows for me to initiate.

The name of the first topic is 'Selling in a soft economy & saturated market'.

I frequently am seeing on this forum where people are whining about what they refer to as "low ballers", including myself. And each time all the replies are of negative tones.

So ok, how bout we take the bad and turn it into a positive?

I went from my competition consisting of a new, detached garage, a finished basement, season tickets to the NFL games, the husband's dream boat, etc. Now I'm facing contractors working for beans. Home owners are shopping around, they're all getting at least 3 price quotes. I'm now faced with an influx of so called contractors that are now so called hardscape experts. This past spring was our worst spring ever, swamped with estimates - but all the work was going to 1 particular "low ball" contractor. June?? I don't even wanna talk about June.

I had to do something. Had to change something. The only way I could possibly lower our prices would be to lower the quality of our product, and this isn't a possibility. I have always been a believer in educating a prospective buyer, but in these times I'm finding that I am having to go over some logistics of the industry to draw client awareness that NO, all contractors are NOT equal.

I'd like to see if we can get the business minded members to join in and share.

I'd like to hear what other pros are doing to put theirselves out front in a prospective client's mind. Walk us through your process. A home owner contacts you for an estimate. You go meet with them. What happens at your initial meeting?

I'd like to see what kind of participation this topic has and then I'll chime in and share what I'm doing.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 09-26-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.04256 seconds with 7 queries