View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 55 View Post
Ok here goes. Living here in NY the times for my current job (operating engineer) is dieing. I am thinking of getting back into landscaping again start off small at first and then growing to who knows what. I was into landscaping back in the 60's 70's and early 80's with a buisness my father and I had till his death. We had a good buisness maintaining 60+ yards a week plus commercial buisnesses along with all the other work involved with landscaping. Most of our lawn cutting was done near the weekends so yards looked good for the weekends and the earlier parts of the week were used for maintnance of yards and whatever else we had on the books. The real question lies here. 99% of lanscapers these days use Zero turn machines. All well and good and I can see there advantages on some lawns. Most of the yards we have in this area grow grass of a mix of Rye, Kentucky blue and Fescues. The lawns we maintained had these mixes and a few even had some creeping bent. We had the machines to maintain all of these and can say that our lawns looked great. Now days I see all these Zero turns running around cutting these same grass and leaving the mowed lawn with grass still at a hight of nearly 4". With all I learned through the years this isnt good for the grass it only looks good for a time. Seems to me that going back to my roots and going with a quailty reel mower will number one be healthier for the lawns. As a selling point to the buisness once people see this it should sell more buisness as it did back then. Now I know nothing beats Rotary mowers for ease of Maintance sharpening wise but again a Reel mower if maintained right will last a long time. Size to me and speed is also a option I need to look into but I got ideas flowing here and having a machine with a 6ft cut is a option along with not a ton of weight. So with that said a couple of these machines will no doubt make fast and effeciant work of any lawn keeping profits up. What I need is your ideas between mowing with reels vs rotary. How many of you still use them.
PS
Depending on lawn conditions I will also consider a ZTR machine for those lawns needing them.
To be honest todays customer is pretty much used to the type of business most LCO run. I don't think anyone would be willing to pay for the type of service you are talking about. I would think you'd need to charge double what everyone else is to make money. But i do know what you are talking about, sounds like the companies I used to watch as a kid

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.

Page generated in 0.04670 seconds with 7 queries