View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
Not true.

Bio has way better lubricative properties then ULSD, for this reason many folks blend bio in as a lubricant for their engines usually at 1 or 2 percent B2 or B1 sometimes B5.

Biodiesel has no less energy per gallon in relation to diesel, then gasoline with 10% ethanol has compared to 100 percent 87 octane.

Most issues with biodiesel come from poor fuel quality. Because bio doesn't have an industry standard, its getting a bad name from low quality fuel. A few things to watch out for with bio.

1. Water, particularly if made from used oil, water can be a definite problem, look for a facility that dewaters and tests the oil before processing.

2. Temperature, although producers will claim that bio is good down to somewhere around 40F, it really wants to be kept above 80.

3. Age, Bio is prone to growing algae (diesel grows algae too), this can gum things up in a hurry. Make sure your buying fresh biodiesel, and treat it too.

4. Biodiesel has cleaning properties, it will tend to lift up all the junk built up in fuel systems, if you are switching over, plan on doing the fuel filter very soon.

Is it easy, no, but it can be a pretty cool thing. and can potentially save you money. Its just about quality control

Well not sure about any of this as I am not a mechanic. All I know is when I took the pump off and took it to St. Louis Diesel Injection Service, they told me the pump was shot from running Bio Diesel. They told me that the pump was not properly lubricated and that is why it caused the pump to fail pre maturly at less then 15,000 miles. Weather it is just a bad fuel or not lubricated properly who cares... why take a chance at 1,000 a pop injection pumps, and the down time while it is getting fixed.

Page generated in 0.04678 seconds with 7 queries