Thread: IB Blades
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Blades and computers on the same boat?

I used to buy name brand computers (Dell, Gateway). Kinda as a piece of mind thing, kinda wantin to feel like I was gettin a Mercedes.

Well, I have a good friend that works on computers for the federal government as a federal contractor. And he always said "it doesn't matter what brand of computer you buy - all the internal parts are the same".

I was due for a new laptop. Funds are limited for me, so I did some price comparisons. I went with a Toshiba from Staples. About $200 less than a dell with the same features. So far - I love it, No regrets...yet!

DO WE REALLY NEED $200 - $250 blades???? The reality here is no one knows how many linear feet of product they're getting out of one blade. Our blades are not used just for cutting pavers. Sometimes we're cutting 8" block, sometimes we're cutting 4" caps, sometimes we're cutting steel, sometimes we're cutting into asphalt or an old sidewalk. Thus, none of us here really know the true lifespan of our blades.

Could our $80 blades last as long as the $200 blades???

- Say a $200 blade will cut 2000 linear feet. That equates to 10 cents / linear foot.

- Ok, so maybe the $80 blades do not last as long as the $200 blades. They may wear out a little faster, but I bet it's very minimal. Say it takes (2) $80 blades to cut 2500 linear feet. $160 / 2500 = 0.064 / linear foot.

With my theory - The $80 blades still work out to be less money. Even though this is only theory - I bet I'm right.

One of my former blade sales reps was dis-gruntled with his former employer. He said even after his commission, they still have a net profit in excess of 100%.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.04355 seconds with 7 queries