View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUtah View Post
OK let’s start with a bacteria type that organic fert nuts are crazy about. The Nittrogen fixing bacteria known as diazotrophs. These bacteria produce an enzyme known as Nitrogenase. This enzyme captures the Nitrogen found in the atmosphere and converts it into Ammonia (a "salt fertilizer"). They then use another enzyme called Glutamine synthetase to capture the N that is in the Amonia they just produced and use it to build glutamine. For those who don’t know glutamine is a Proteinogenic amino acid. Proteinogenic amino acids are basic building blocks used to make proteins. Protiens are the powerhouses of the cell if you will.

So here you have a soil microbe that captures Nitrogen from the atmosphere, turns it into “chemical fertilizer” (ammonia) in order to use it to make proteins. In fact, one of the enzymes I mentioned itself (Glutamine Synthetase) contains another "salt fertilizer" ion known as Ammonium.
OK Mr. google scholar .... lets start with the fact that you keep calling ammonia a "salt fertilizer". Ammonia (NH3) is not a salt .... it is a gas. Ammonium compounds/salts are what you mean .... and they are not a "salt fertilizer", they are an ionic compound. So based on the fact that you can't even reproduce what you read accurately, the rest is worthless.

Quote:
This is just one example but there are thousands of types of soil microbes and each uses thousands of molecules to build itself and perform different functions. There is no way that I can provide an all inclusive list. But you knew that already didn’t you Kiril?
Yes, I did. The question was meant to demonstrate the absurdity of your statements.

Quote:
So as an alternative, let’s turn to some course notes provided by PhD. Stephen T. Abedon. He is a professor in the Department of Microbiology at Ohio State University. I found them in seconds using a simple google search for "Bacteria essential nutrients".

These notes cover the chapter entitled “Microbial Nutrition”. Note the underlined words.

Like I said, this is basic college stuff. Entry level. I have to go, but can expand on the areas I highlighted if anyone wants.
Provide the link if you are going to cut and paste JD.

http://mansfield.osu.edu/~sabedon/biol2015.htm

Hardly basic entry level college stuff, microbiology is not a GE, nor is the course specific to soil microbiology .... but by all means JD .... please do expand (without the cut and paste). Just because you can cut and paste doesn't mean you understand. Be careful JD .... you are getting close to Gerry status here.

Quote:
The bottom line is... YES! Microbes need nutrients! And YES! These nutrients often include the SAME EXACT IONS as found in chemical fertilizers. Some of those that this Doctor mentioned are NH4 (Ammonium ion), NO3 (Nitrate ion), SO4 (Sulfate ion), PO4 (phosphate ion)
Stop putting words in the professors mouth JD.

Furthermore, you have heard of mineralization .... right? Care to explain the difference between an inorganic ion derived from an organic source vs. a synthetic one?

Quote:
And you guys call me ignorant???
Yup ... and accurately so.

Let's recap .... you have focused on a single group of bacteria .... didn't reproduce what you read accurately, and didn't provide the answers I requested, even for the bacteria you specifically addressed. You then cut and paste some lectures notes as if they provided the answers .... but they didn't. Does that pretty much cover it JD?

Sorry JD, but as long as you continue to spew this uninformed crap every couple of months without doing the necessary research, or at the very least reading the publication list I have posted on numerous occasions, you will continue to be ignorant on this subject and I will continue to point it out.

Page generated in 0.05220 seconds with 7 queries