View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I like to compare IPM with Plant Health Care. IPM is treating mostly with pesticides when a problem arises. PHC is all about improving plant vitality so it can fend off pests with it's immune system. I stress that these plants, turf or ornamental, will also provide a better looking landscape.

I also explain the value and benefits for them in terms of health and safety.
We will not be the low cost provider, we will provide them with more value for the money. If they are not interested in this type of program, I can refer them to someone else.
The interestting thing here is that most people believe that their turf is "healthy" as long as it gets too much water and too much fertilizer.
I'm not in favor of low cost either, just saving them money as it saves me work...

As for ornamentals, I can't really get a consenus about the application of N every spring. I personally believe that shrubs and other woody plants are subject to disease with high N, but it doesn't fit well with conventional wisdom. I think 'water sprouts' are a symptom of unhealthy, rapid growth.
With all the voices out there saying the landscape need fertilizer, people tend to think you are a moron if you say it isn't necessary, even damaging...

Page generated in 0.04786 seconds with 7 queries