View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
For someone without much experience operating reel mowers you sure have a lot of opinions (Chili reference) I have moved away from reels mostly because I have not found a client yet that can tell the difference between a reel cut and a cut with a Walker mower. The reel will go dull in a heartbeat if you hit a decent sized rock. It will come out of adjustment just bouncing around in the back of a trailer. I love reels and I love the reel cut... but as a business man I have to look at the big picture and unfortunately there is little room for reel mowers these days. At least if you are a profit based business. I have not been able to test out the Hayder yet but I have to believe Tx. he seems to have a pretty good handle on the reel picture.
I'm opinionated? That's news to me. I might be investigative, but not opinionated or biased necessarily, that is why I posted this thread. To see which reel mower was best. I have previously owned a homeowner cal trimmer and it cut my lawn like no other, I haven't been able to match the quality of that cut with any rotary. The proof for me is in the pudding.

Yes it is true that I do not have much experience in the lawn care industry, about 4 years. I have used my fair share of reel mowers. I have also damaged my reel mowers enough to tell which ones break easier, tru-cut always is the one with a bent reel. Go to any mower shop and see how many old Cal Trimmers you see compared to Tru-cuts. While reels may be finicky, you don't see anyone mowing golf greens with a rotary do you?
You can have fun sitting on your walker cutting Bermuda at 1.5+ inches while I maintain my Bermuda at the proper height (1/2-3/4) and at the same time encouraging horizontal growth. And while I am a profit concerned business, In the long run I am quality concerned. Part of the reason why everything built today and done today falls apart or is made in China is because "quality isn't profitable" and that goes against my ideals. I'm in this business because it is my calling.

This thread is like any other thread posted here on lawnsite comparing equipment, just go into the "Which backpack blower is best" thread and see the variety of answers. I knew that I would get about 40 different answers when I posted it. That is why I said "I get the feeling I am comparing Nissan and Toyota. But when I comes to reels to rotary's, that is a completely different subject.

Page generated in 0.04264 seconds with 7 queries