View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Many good points in the posts. The compost they make is all mixed in a giant mixing pot and water is added by weight. They then place it in windrows and porus tubing pipes through the piles with a blower system on it to allow air to move through the piles. They tarp it for about 90 days and constantly measure the temperature so it maintains at least 130F, they say it's usually around 150F.

I've used the product in gardens before and even though it is screened, there is still some small sticks or woody type material that sometimes gets through. I can see this being an issue with some types of spreaders. I may have to double screen it or just see how it works out.

My plan is to offer a truly organic program as an alternative to my synthetic one. I have been asked about this in the past but never had any options for someone. I believe the truly organic people will not have a hard time understanding that living with a sustainable turf stand includes some weed crop. If I can also convince some of my synthetic customers how important soil structure is, maybe they will at least bite on the topdressing aspect. My dad lives in an area that is extremely course sandy material with very little loam to the structure. By adding compost at .25 inches per year for only 2 years, he already has the best grass in the area!

Page generated in 0.03941 seconds with 7 queries