Thread: Concrete base
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post

What is being discussed here is residential flatwork, not highways & bridges. As I stated earlier, I've never seen a piece of residential concrete flatwork fail when the concrete & steel was placed properly.

So what your telling, in a residential setting, that a home with a 80yr old lady using a walker and as were the family using salt in enormous amounts to control icing problems will not deterate your flatwork over time? My snow/ice control comes from commerical side of things, at one medical facitily alone I've spread close to 22tons of salt this season, so maybe I do not follow you

Yes, I think that must be it. I know the effects that the additional freeze/thaw cycles can have on concrete. Sure, they can attribute to pre-mature failure of the concrete's SURFACE, but AGAIN, I've never seen a resi peice of concrete fail due to the corrosion of the steel when it was placed properly. If you're spreading all this salt at this medical facility and actually believe there is a rampant epidemic of steel corrosion due to de-icer's I'd imagine you have a disclaimer in your contract with the property owner dissolving yourself of all liability to steel reinforcement damage..............Of course you don't no one does, BECAUSE IT'S NOT A WELL DOCUMENTED PROBLEM AWAY FROM A FEW MINUTE PUBLIC STRUCTURES......

Well it doesn't get any better in spring as you said that "any heave will return",

So, you really think that the highway's heaving and not coming back down? Do they eventually raise the overpasses, street signs, adjacent asphalt roads, etc.... too or do you just have a step to get on to the concrete highway?? The clearance issue for semi's to navigate under bridges must really be tough...........

What is the weight limit on the road? Does your municpality have a restriction such as sussex where no traffic over 10 tons is allowed?
80,000 pounds, unless you have an overweight permit. Again, it's a state numbered highway.

Page generated in 0.04808 seconds with 7 queries