View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I think this is where we all need to sell quality, which you did in that statement about his home. I think you, DVS clued us into this topic early we have to get out of the price game and into the satisfaction game.

We all need to work hard to tell the customer why our prices are higher:

1. We do high quality work and will do the extras-not create deficits as many contractors do.
2. We work hard to educate you on the process and show you whats behind every door, that takes knowledge, time, and costs dollars.
3. I want to be around in 10-15 years to continue to offer great service.
4. I want to pay good men, good wages, and be a responsible citizen and proud of the business I own. That takes dollars.

What are the others I am missing?

Use his numbers game against him get him thinking not why yours is so high but why the other contractors is so low? Maybe he will leave out the fabric when your not looking, use poorly graded aggregate etc.

-Chris

Damn, you're on the ball Chris!

I did exactly what your last paragragh said. AND I EVEN mentioned to him that I know of a particular contractor in the area that installs just enough fabric so it sticks out the edges of the gravel!! (I'm NOT making this up, a buddy of mine that is a production mgr for another company had to go in and rebuild a patio built by another company).

I said to the man "I know of a contractor in the area that installs just enough fabric on the outside perimeter of the patio". He replied "oh my". I said "do you know why they do this?" He replied "why". I answered "because this is all you can see when you return home at 5:30".

About this time every year I ask myself "who will I meet this year". I always meet some really fascinating and inspiring people and I meet some total psychos!

And you know what? Some of these PSYCHOS are OUR friends, neighbors, and relatives. Just we have never sold them any work, so we have never seen this side to them.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Page generated in 0.03456 seconds with 7 queries