View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saw n mow View Post
Regarding engaging the blades, my owners manual (BadBoy MZ48) doesn't say anything about at what throttle position to engage the blades. I did download a Hustler Sport owners manual (when I was researching mowers) and they say this:

With the engine running, engage the deck clutch switch and advance engine throttle to full rpm.

NOTE: Engaging the deck clutch at high engine rpm or when under heavy load (in tall grass for example) can cause belts and/or electric clutch to slip, resulting in premature wear or possible damage.

Kevin
Now I was told by a dealer years ago that you should engage the blades at almost idle or a little above idle or low RPM's. He said that engaging the blades at high RPM's will destroy the clutch? BOTH OF MY HUSTLERS that I have owned will engage blades at almost "idle" position with a slightly cold engine. Now these are smaller decks 42" and smaller machines, but the BadBoy still had a smaller deck, with a much larger engine, I would have expected it to handle turning the blades over with no problem.

Also when I say "cold engine" I start everything I own and let it warm up pretty well before I use it, so it is not really a cold engine, just really not up to operating temperature. I am not talking about just starting the machine up and throwing the blades on and going. I usually let it run a few minutes and then go.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-27-2011 at 11:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.04817 seconds with 7 queries