View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

More information from Stihl technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Take the cap and machine to the Stihl dealer. They will replace the cap for free REGARDLESS of the age of the machine. One of my BR600's is a 2005. My Stihl dealer replaced the cap for free on the spot. No questions asked. Despite someone misinforming me about the new caps being screw in, the newest caps are still of the flip design but quality control in manufacturing has been improved along with a new composition of materials that go into the cap.

The new cap is a huge improvement although I really wish they would go back to the screw in style cap. I was the first person on Lawnsite to raise the alarm about the flip caps back in 2005. I just retired that blower to backup status last week.

http://70.85.43.66/showthread.php?t=121293
Talked to my local Stihl technician today about these caps again and he related something new that I had not heard before. The caps have been redesigned because of ethanol and it's effect on the plastic the caps were originally made from. According to him, the plastic would swell and create the problems of just getting the caps off the equipment (my experience exactly). The new caps are supposed to solve the problem. I have tried spraying the cap, once it's out, with Fluid Film with some success. He replaced one cap the last time I had my trimmer in for repair with a new cap and haven't had a problem since with that one. Hopefully they have fixed the problem for good!!

2009 Nissan Titan pullling a 18 ft PJ Trailer
2011 Kubota ZD326S (60") - 26HP Kubota Diesel
2010 Bob-Cat FastCat Pro 48" w/Accelerator (20HP Kawa)
Non-commercial 21" walk-behind
Blowers (Stihl BG85/Husqvarna 170BT)
Trimmers (Stihl KM110 & FS90, Kawa Multi-Tool)
Chainsaws (Stihl MS180 & MS362 w/20 & 24" bars)
& misc hand tools & equipment

Page generated in 0.04272 seconds with 7 queries