View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Pricing job for rock removal and sod

I usually don't get involved with these jobs but one of my customers asked me to lay sod for him in place of what used to be one of those playground things for kids. This was a 550 sq. ft. area with pea gravel spread 3 inches deep. Before I put down the sod I had to remove the pea gravel and brick siding, there was about 5 cubic yards or 7.5 tons of gravel (if 1 cubic yard is equal to 1.4 tons). It took me and one of my guys 5 hours to remove the gravel and the brick siding. To haul this gravel to the dump it took me 3 loads and the dump was 5 miles away. Once the gravel was all out I tilled up all 550 sq. ft. which took me one hour. I then layed down the 550 sq. ft. of sod which took me 2-3 hours. I have never done a job like this before so I dont have much of an idea how to establish my prices.

My questions are:
1. What should I charge for removing the pea gravel and brick siding? Should I price this by the hour or cubic yard?

2. How should I determine my haul fee to the dump?

3. What should I charge for my 1 hour labor of tilling?

4. Should I price laying sod by the hour or Sq. Ft. and what should my rate be?

I have spent a lot of time researching trying to figure out a price but cant find the info I need so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post.Thanks

Page generated in 0.03772 seconds with 7 queries