View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of the grasses that do better in shade do not have a dark green color to begin with... I believe there is a limit on how good the color can become even if one can get the KBG to survive in the shade...
Try Milorganite with Iron and see if that makes a difference or get a soil test and see if your pH is within range for you soil to absorb iron... but if you are using organic practices you probably have good SOM building...

The thing I've noticed about shade lawns is that the more N you put on the quicker the grass dies off and your turf will actually get thinner, over the course of 2 or 3 years... Keep it on a 'Low maintenance' schedule and it will be fine...

The best color I've had on the shade lawns came this year on warm soils and 5" of rain over the span of about 3 days... I had just done the Springtime fertilizer app.(June) a week or 2 before that and after all that rain it actually made a difference... It doesn't takea lot of N in the shade trees, but it does take a lot of water...

Page generated in 0.04416 seconds with 7 queries