View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic
easier to lift + more

Yes, it's much easier than the LS 21". We've never seen the smaller TURFCO hydro aerator, but their new 24" XT5 hydro was so easy to lift/drop the tines that I could hardly believe it (almost effortless).

The 24" XT5 was the quietest of all 3, but the LS unit was a close 2nd. The Plugr was very noisy >> it sounded like he was hitting rocks, yet he wasn't. I thought that was kinda weird??

The 24" XT5 turned "way easier" than the LS & Plugr -- turfcobob was so busy that I was not able to get all the details on how their new aerator is different from their 21" unit, but one thing was the outer tines are free-wheeling so it makes it much easier to turn. Folks that have viewed the 2 videos will notice this, cuz I made tight turns with the tines down while not tearing up turf.

Regarding the Plugr....specs say it's a 30 inch effective width, but the rep told me it's only 27 1/2 inches. I also thought the XT5 had about the same effective pattern.. Looking at brochures is one thing, but a side by side comparison is a whole lot better.....especially regarding a buying decision.

Bottom line: If I were buying an aerator, it would be the 24" XT5. Or else the caster wheel Toro/Lawn Solutions aerator (but I don't know the performance, future availability, or what's gunna happen cuz of their patent violations).

my 2 cents, and the 2 cents of many who attended the 2011 Iowa Turf Show

Maybe somebody smarter than me can download the 2 videos on youtube.

Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
So larry you say it's essayer to lower the tines on XT5 than the LS aerator.

I demoed both at GIE last year and they were both real hard to lower the tines. That was a real disappointment but maybe Turfco made a change ?

Both machines were about the same in ease to turn But the XT5 i demoed was noisey. Maybe there were changes made here to.

try youtube and you can be famous

Charles Cue
Proud subscriber of TURF Magazine. (thanks Ron)
Page generated in 0.03957 seconds with 8 queries