View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mikey

Measure twice and everything is nice.

Similar story only with tree removal after the Hurricane. I gave an estimate of $ 250 to remove 1 fallen Royal Palm and haul it away so the customers and that one pointing to a second one in the back yard. Again I said $ 250. Then he ask about two smaller citrus trees which were very full and I said $ 250 again and the customer assumed it was for each citrus tree not both. As we were cleaning up he came out and gave me a check which I slid in pocket without looking.

Later that day I pulled the check out and saw the amount was $ 1,000 instead of $ 750. I took it back to the customer and explained he had over paid me and the Citrus tree bid was misunderstood by him. He Tipped me $ 100 for being honest but the big issue was his telling the story at the Country Club which really was great word of mouth.

The other side of the coin is if you under measured or bid a job, You eat your mistakes. In the case of sod measurement, one day the customer is going to look at a Property Plot and realize you over charged him and his word of mouth is not in your favor. Remember the TG/CL salesman's favorite trick is to under measure to get a lower price and get the commission because he doesn't have to spray it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Page generated in 0.03634 seconds with 7 queries