View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAmateur View Post
I bought a small RTU bottle and used it once this year, as a "summer" fert after applying a fungicide. It certainly did not hurt the lawn, at the same time one application isn't going to do much. It has some liquid fert in it also so at a minimum it helps with that. I wouldn't even pretend that the dethatching and aerating chemicals can do what mechanical systems could, but for a situation of minimal thatch it may help.
The Point is not 'chemical', but 'living organisms', doing what normally is done in healthy soils... real thatch is created by too much fert, too early in the season promoting lots of surface growth and an endless cycle of dieback and new surface growth with no opportunity for natural processes to break down the dead stuff before the hydrophobic layer is formed...

Dish soap can help break surface tension and move water through soil more easily, but I don't believe it physically helps the structure enough to actually relieve compaction...

I agree with Phasthound in that the combination of strategies isn't a bad idea...

Page generated in 0.03949 seconds with 7 queries