View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeding soon after herbicide

I did an experiment testing germination and sprouting of Scotts "High Traffic" seed at intervals after spraying Gordon's T-Zone And Lesco Eliminate herbicides. Containers of potting soil were sprayed with the estimated label rate. Seed was sown on top with no soil preparation at 1,3, and 5 days after herbicide spray. New sprouts were visible on the Untreated Control (UTC) at 4 days. Temps were about 82 days and 65 nights. Containers sprayed with Eliminate had poor germination at 0, and 1 day after spraying, but good germination when seeded at 3 and 5 days after spraying. They grew to about 1/4 inch shorter than the UTC (which grew to 2.25 inches, as a maximum).

T-Zone treatments had poor germination when planted at 1 and 3 days after spraying; fair germination when sown at 5 days after spraying.

I conclude that new seed under these conditions can be sucessfully planted at 3 or 5 days after spraying with Eliminate.
Evidence indicates T-Zone requires a longer wait before seeding, as resulting sprouts were not adequate after an interval of 5 days or less.

Maybe I never really left the university.
John

Page generated in 0.04073 seconds with 7 queries