View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
best thing to do is stay in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree. Who do you think many of those lowballers are? College grads who can't find work or those that had a good job then got laid off. You are way ahead of the game working and earning money right after high school instead of partying four years in some diploma mill, getting yourself $200K in debt then not finding work.

Don't get me started on how 50% of kids do not belong in college. If you don't have a clear goal and an excellent chance of employment upon graduation in your field when you enter a college you don't belong there.

On of the reasons this country is in the mess it's in is because of thinking like yours. We have a generation whose parents, mostly hard workers like ourselves back in the 50's, wanted a "better life" for their kids. So every kid had to have a college education and the result was they don't want to get their hands dirty, have an attitude towards those who do and feel entitled to as much money as possible.

Being in the trades or doing manual work today is considered a stigma and so our workforce is rapidly declining as we retire and our sons or daughters aren't taking our places as they once did. So we are inundated with illegals "doing the work nobody wants to do".

There's the rest of your lowballers.
So far from the truth...

First off, the only way you will have $200K in loans is if you go to an ivy league school with no scholarships. State school college can be done for roughly $15K a year in most Midwest states (even adding in living expenses, you are no where close to $200K).

If you don't have a clear goal and an excellent chance of employment upon graduation in your field when you enter a college you don't belong there.

Are you serious? While I agree that it is good to have a clear plan coming into school, it is not the end of the world if you don't initially. Gen eds are going to make up the majority of your first 2 years anyways, plenty of people don't figure out their major until then. "Undecided" as a major is pretty common for freshmen, you're statement is simply not accurate.

Alternatively, I do agree with the other posters about how you shouldn't waste your time getting a worthless degree.

One last thing I will throw out there, is my opinion on business degrees. DO NOT major in marketing or general business. If you are GB, many employers see this as you have no expertise. Regarding marketing, those guys have a really hard time getting a job out of school, not enough jobs in the field. I also view management as a bit of a waste too, all you learn is theory.

IMO, if you're not sure what you want to major in, choose finance, accounting, or economics. Finance and accounting actually provide some quantitative skills that are of value, they are not just memorizing theory.

Also, no matter what you're degree is, networking is almost as important. The old phrase "It's not what you know, it's who you know" is still true today. Reach out to alumni (you can use LinkedIn for this), go to events, career fairs, etc.

Finally, if you actually want a shot at getting a job upon graduation, you need to have done summer internships. If not, you're just one of the thousands of resumes employers get. You have to give them a reason to give a sh** about you, the best way to do this is by gaining experience, which internships do.

There you go, that's some free advice right there!

Page generated in 0.04905 seconds with 7 queries