View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Restrorob. I had thought about the ignition modules, but since there seems to be a good spark with the ignition switch in the start position I ended up ruling them out. I did the resistance test per the manual, however. My ignition modules are the 24 584 36-S. My results are as shown below:
Measured ohms . . . . . Specified
Right . . . . Left . . . . . . . Range . . . . . . . Measurement
575 . . . . . 574 . . . . . . 590 - 616 . . . . . . . . 1 to 4 . . kill circuit
197 . . . . . 197 . . . . . . 183 - 208 . . . . . . . . 2 to 4 . . trigger circuit
9700 .. . . 15,700 . . . 8000 - 40,000 . . . . .. 3 to 4 . . spark plug

So while the 1 to 4 measurement is slightly low on both, the others are in the specified range. The 1 to 4 measurement is for the kill circuit, assuming the diagram in the Kohler manual on page 8.20 has the correct layout.

I'm sure you know these engines better that I do. Would I get the spark with the ignition switch in the start position if the ignition modules are bad? Does it indicate a fatal defect that the 1 to 4 measurement is slightly low?

And I suspect the diode may not have been blown. The new one is giving the same, defective, reading with my fluke multimeter. Since the diode is combined with a relay I suspect there is some circuitry there which fools the meter into thinking it is bad.

Page generated in 0.03865 seconds with 7 queries