View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Some years ago i took off to visit a cousin and noticed his neighbor was having his driveway sealed. I remember well that the drive was a little over five football fields long and 12.5 ft wide. The guy sealing it had done maybe five drives with a squeegee working our of barrels and thought he had struck a gold mine at $0.20 per sg ft with this one drive. The seal coat supplier had talked him into using additives and had written down the wrong ratios and he had all these barrels of sealer sitting with the wrong ratios of additives in them. I took a look and all the barrels of sealer and each one was as thick as drywall mudd.
The poor guy was standing there with this bewildered look on his face and said the supplier had denied giving him the wrong ratios and refused to come out and look at his problem. He was broke and didnt have gas money to drive back to the supplier to convince him to come take a look and advise him on what to do. He said he didnt know what to do other than just eat his loss and dump the stuff in a ditch somewhere and give up the sealcoating business.
I talked the guy and the home owner into letting me take over the job.
We got numerous large plastic totes and divided the overly thick material into them and added water and started adjusting and checking viscosity then we did numerous material splits from one tote to the other so that each tote had close to the exact same ratio mix. Then we built a sealer buggy to add the sand he started stirring and filling the buggy and i started squeegeeing and squeegeeing and squeegeeing and etc.
The driveway turned out good and he got a valuable lesson on double checking everything the supplier says with what the manufacturer says and to also test everything on a smaller scale prior applying it on a big job.

That was a mistake anybody could have made and it was made by someone who like a lot of folks did not have a lot of money to work with but was honestly trying to do things right. And if someone would not have been there to help him he would have probably dumped everything in a ditch somewhere and ended up in the hole by losing money on the wasted sealer.

Last edited by BIGBOY2008; 09-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.04490 seconds with 7 queries