View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Member

A Challenge that Reawakened me

As a landscape architect I spent many years working in an office and all of the jobs that came to my desk were pretty much the same, government bids. Be sure to create a design that allows for as many parking spaces as possible, use plants that are tolerant to heat and need little to no care. When I left to begin my own design/build firm, while many of the designs I did for my residential clients required much more creativity, after a while I got in a rut. I met with a client one day who was so full of passion and joy and she requested a complete yard overhaul and wanted her new yard to reflect her Texan and Japanese heritage.
This job reawakened me; it caused me to research and create a design so different from what I had been doing. I loved bringing in elements of two very different landscapes and having them meld to create a place that truly reflected who my client is. We created a large Zen garden using Texas Rose stone and have boulders as well as cowboy boot focal point in the garden. We included a Japanese entry gate and deer chasing fountain for other Japanese elements. Choosing plants that were symbolic of two different landscapes that would survive in a Virginia climate was a challenge, but one that we met. We included Heavenly Bamboo Nandina, Beautyberry, and Dwarf Japanese Garden Junipers. The installation went well, although creating the curvature of the deck was complicated.
Since this job I have been invigorated in my designs and look forward to making each project different from the last.
Attached Images

Page generated in 0.04680 seconds with 8 queries