View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It takes time to get up and running.

Present yourself that you know what you are doing and you will overcome the age aspect easily.

I moved my company across the country and its taking longer than i want to get traction but its coming. Just keep the bids out there.

I disagree with brooming, brushing and such.

It may work as an owner operator but not if you plan on using employees.

You save a lot of material, but that gets canceled out by the amount of extra time.

Someone said they can spread 200 gallons a day. At 200 gallons a day I couldnt pay my phone bill. We shoot for 400 GALLONS PER HOUR. Of course thats doing big commercial but that's what each 2 man crew is expected to do.

Brushing does not last longer. It puts less material on the parking lot.

Ive had customers ask for brushing, I use this example.
I spray a 4 foot by 4 foot section.
Then I take the brush to it and it stretches to double the size.

Then I ask the customer. Do you want to pay me more labor to use less material, or do you want more material on your lot and pay less for labor.

Never had one ask me to brush it after that.

Now from what I see around here the way competitors spray, I can totally understand a customer worried about that. Heck around here they cant brush without getting it 3 inches up the curb and 3 inches over the sidewalks.

But if you are good on the spray wand, you should be able to leave everything spotless. do around the garage and concrete by hand. Start with 3 feet out, eventually as you get better you can cut that down to 6 inches and you wont splatter.

Sealer doesnt kill grass. its not a big deal if you overspray grass. If you use a fresh tip, and you develop some skill, you will get very very little on the grass.

It sounds like youre doing the right thing to start. Dont change how you do the work and try going back to 1950 technology and think you're going to grow very much.
Your competitor is 20 driveways ahead of you before youre picking up your first check.

Just keep the advertising, keep pushing. Dont be afraid to point out who does crap work, and show how yours is better.

I deal with it everyday. Jobs that I think I had for sure, I drive by and theyre getting done and I have no idea why.
Customers who dont care about quality and wont pay me a dollar more for neatness than they will pay a hack to spray their concrete and buildings.

But word will get out.

Page generated in 0.04982 seconds with 7 queries